Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Flotsam and Jetsam (O'Connor Edition)

Just a couple of random thoughts from the last couple days that have gotten lost in the mayhem:

---
On Friday, if you were like me (alone, cranky, drunk and checking out Wikipedia), you would have noticed that the List of Mayors of Pittsburgh was updated at, around or before 10:00 PM, just around the time the local news media came out the story. This is more proof that the Internet is not a big truck.

---
I was shocked as anyone that The Guy that Won't Shut up beat out the Gas Thief for City Council President. My money was on the Ditch Digger (no, not that one, the OTHER Ditch Digger).

---
I'm not going to lie and say that I don't have an interest in seeing Luke Ravenstahl in the mayor's office for three years, even with all the controversy surrounding this decision. Frankly, I had just settled into a nice rhythm after 8 months of change; it would be nice to actually try to get things done for a few more months rather than do another about-face.

---
Speaking of that controversy, I'm predicting six different possible sources of a lawsuit: (1) Someone who wants to run for the office (*cough* Peduto, *cough* Lamb), (2) City Council, (3) The Allegheny County Democratic Committee, (4) the Green, Libertarian, Republican, or other third party, (5) assorted whackos, or (6 and most brilliantly of all) Luke Ravenstahl, who's looking to solidify the legality of this regime change.

---
Three months. That's how long I give it before the remnants of the O'Connor administration are purged by Bonnie Prince Lucky. First on the chopping block: Dennis Regan.

---
Why do I feel like Medici Florence of the 14th Century had less intrigue than the City County Building has right about now?

---
OK, that's the sum contents of my brain right now. Time to drive the rest of it out with Bourbon and Pez.

No comments: