Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Did Anyone Catch This One...?

OK, I'm getting the heebee-jeebees over this article, which reads, in part:

Phyllis Schlafly, doyenne of American conservatism, said [Supreme Court Justice Anthony M.] Kennedy's opinion forbidding capital punishment for juveniles "is a good ground of impeachment." To cheers and applause from those gathered at a downtown Marriott for a conference on "Confronting the Judicial War on Faith," Schlafly said that Kennedy had not met the "good behavior" requirement for office and that "Congress ought to talk about impeachment."...

Not to be outdone, lawyer-author Edwin Vieira told the gathering that Kennedy should be impeached because his philosophy, evidenced in his opinion striking down an anti-sodomy statute, "upholds Marxist, Leninist, satanic principles drawn from foreign law."...

"The people who have been speaking out on this, like Tom DeLay and Senator Cornyn, need to be backed up," Schlafly said to applause yesterday. One worker at the event wore a sticker declaring "Hooray for DeLay."
Read the rest of the article... it gets worse.

Now, I could launch into a tirade over the separation of powers, pointing out that a free judiciary is a protection against tyranny, or I could discuss the neo-conservative push towards the amalgamation of governmental and political powers, or I could point out that Kennedy was, in fact, appointed to the bench by Ronald Reagan, or I could say something along the lines of "when did we start slouching towards an Iranian style oligopoly?" Instead, however, I think I'll stand by my initial reaction:

Yikes!

I'm going to change my undies now.

No comments: