Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hidden in Plain Sight

I was flipping through the front pages of the Post-Gazette today, and I saw this picture of El Presidente in West Virginia:

Image Courtesy of the Post-Gazette & hosted by Imageshack

OK, the first response was snark... as per usual.

Second response was a kneejerk anti-Orwellian, comment on the recent propaganda from Minilove.

But then, I had an epiphany... a vision... a picture in my head... a blinding flash of the obvious: the banner in the background contains only one noun.

The composition of the banner is not noun preposition noun but rather imperative verb preposition noun.

Consider these statements:

Now, I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. -- Vice-President Dick Cheney, Meet the Press, March 16 2003

"The level of activity that we see today from a military standpoint, I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."-- Vice-President Dick Cheney, Larry King Live, June 20, 2005
Do you see it now?

There it is, plain as day: the strategy for Iraq -- "Plan for Victory!" The Iraqi War is obviously a Panglossian experiment in Nation building...

But at least the President is being up front with us, hidden in plain sight.

No comments: