The Washington Post is reporting today that now-President Elect Barack Obama had secretly ordered teams of lawyers to review Bush administration actions and executive orders that could be swiftly undone to reverse White House policies.
A team of four dozen advisers, working for months in virtual solitude, set out to identify regulatory and policy changes Obama could implement soon after his inauguration. The team is now consulting with liberal advocacy groups, Capitol Hill staffers and potential agency chiefs to prioritize those they regard as the most onerous or ideologically offensive, said a top transition official who was not permitted to speak on the record about the inner workings of the transition.The team discovered several Executive Orders that were found to be objectionable:
In some instances, Obama would be quickly delivering on promises he made during his two-year campaign, while in others he would be embracing Clinton-era policies upended by President Bush during his eight years in office.
"The kind of regulations they are looking at" are those imposed by Bush for "overtly political" reasons, in pursuit of what Democrats say was a partisan Republican agenda, said Dan Mendelson, a former associate administrator for health in the Clinton administration's Office of Management and Budget. The list of executive orders targeted by Obama's team could well get longer in the coming days, as Bush's appointees rush to enact a number of last-minute policies in an effort to extend his legacy.
- Executive Order #4518 which changed the definition of a "human" to include a fetus, an embryo, a dog, and several types of lawyer.
- Executive Order #831 which removed the E before I except after C rule in the Department of Commerce.
- Executive Orders #34 and #9305 which revoked Dick Cheney's death certificates.
- Executive Order #746 which renamed the Department of Education "The Department of Fancy Book Learnin'".
- Executive Order #24601 which called for the arrest of an unidentified French fugitive who was accused of stealing a loaf of bread and his immediate transportation to Guantanamo Bay.
- Executive Order #8675309 which ordered Jenny to not change her number.
- Executive Order #8008135 which banned dirty "l33t-speak".
- Executive Order #7895 which sold Yosemite National Park to Halliburton in exchange for $24 of beads.
- Executive Order #6723 which canceled Arrested Development.
- Executive Order #68903 which renewed, in perpetuity, The World According to Jim.
- Executive Order #1293 which correctified certain stratergeric minunpronouncementations of the President.
- Executive Order #4769 which makes everything the President says truthful, if he has his fingers crossed.