Friday, April 02, 2010

Smile! You're on Ravenstahl Camera

And then there's this:

The city of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon Unviersity, and Community College of Allegheny County this morning announced that they're jointly seeking about $14 million in federal stimulus money to install 220 additional video cameras throughout the city.

The cameras would operate on a wireless network and "dramatically enhance the city's public safety and homeland security capabilities" Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said in a statement.

The city, CMU, and CCAC are hoping to tap part of the $2.6 billion available in the second round of the broadband technology opportunities program. Applications were due March 26. The grant program is administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration.
Security. Terror. Crime. Blahblahblahblah.

The only way that I think that I'd be comfortable with this is if the cameras were available for public viewing on the internet. Now, while I realize that this would open up the cameras to public mooning, I'd feel a lot better if I could see what Howard Stern was seeing alone in the dark of his office without wearing pants.

Not that I think that Howard's doing that, but I can't speak for all of his pantless staff. And by "staff" I mean his employees not his...

Anywho, I just want to have a group mooning of Pittsburgh security cameras that I can record and watch repeatedly in my basement away from prying eyes.

Is that wrong?*

---
*Yes, probably.

4 comments:

NutellaonToast said...

I can do better than being able to see the footage...
http://www.tour.pitt.edu/cl_cam.html

as usually, UPitt leading the way.

Ms. Monongahela, Ms. Chief Editor said...

Yes, that is just what we need. $14 million worth of cameras. Yep. That will curtail crime and make us all safe. Keep spending our money to make us safe from ourselves. Draw our attention to the guy who flashed his dangling participus at the camera, so we won't notice that you robbed us of $14 million dollars to buy cameras.

Mark Rauterkus said...

I have no problem with the pointing of cameras at citizens AFTER all the politicians have cameras pointing at them, 24-7.

Lady Elaine said...

It's not for us, it's to keep track of Luke since his press secretary has no idea where the hell he is all the time.

BTW, the mechanic in the Department of Public Works is left in charge of the city this weekend (he will be paid overtime to be sure). He's been here all his life and thinks DVE ROCKS!