Tuesday, June 20, 2006

More on the 9th Councilmatic District

I'd like to say that I beat the Post-Gazette to the punch on the political infighting in the 9th Council District with this post in which I said:

Fifth, impeachment has me nervous for one reason: what devil we don't know would replace the devil we know? Going through my little rolodex of people in the 9th Councilmatic district, eliminating the people that are opportunists, political tools, ignoramuses, and down right idiots, I've come up with two people, and I think one of them is dead.
I'd like to say that I beat them, but I don't think I did. The scurrilous dealing of the Pittsburgh Political Community are about as easy to understand as a James Joyce Mad-Lib. The experience is akin to watching Godfather Part II stoned, drunk, and being pummelled in a burlap sack: you have no idea what's going on, but you think it has something to do with Italians.

Anyway, some things that the article doesn't make clear and that are important to note:

(1) Just because a number of people in the East End seem to have aligning interests and have taken complementary actions doesn't mean that these people are allies.

(2) While anecdote does not equal data, it is clear to me that most of the players involved are not in this fight for the good of the people of the Council District, but rather for person glory and gain.

Now, read the P-G article again with that in mind and you'll share my concerns that the whole East End may just go down the shitter in a power struggle unrivaled since the Days of Our Lives episode where in exchange for helping Jan win Shawn Brady, Jan agreed help Nicole in her plans against Victor. Eventually, Nicole's plan took a deadly turn when she decided to kill Victor. Nicole ordered Jan to do the deed and Jan, believing Nicole would help her get Shawn, obliged. Jan electrocuted Victor while he was taking a bath! However, neither Jan nor Nicole knew that Victor was actually alive and well on Captive Island, Tony's brainchild to imprison his enemies...

I seemed to have strayed from the point a bit, which is this: politics sucks.

No comments: