Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Any Storm in a Port

I had heard about the Port thing a while ago, and didn't think anything of it. In passing, I knew that there was some controversy, but I figured that this was political pandering and posturing against the Fearless Leader and could safely ignore it through my media filter.

Or as I call it: the "Off Button."

Anyway, then I read this report:

President Bush on Tuesday defended a deal that would let a United Arab Emirates-based company run some key U.S. seaports, telling reporters that he would veto any bill to hold up the agreement.
Um... huh?

OK, this would be Bush's first, FIRST veto in 5 years... and he's going to spend it on this? But, more importantly, he's spending political capital on this?

So... it makes me wonder... whoa it makes me wonder...

*ahem*

It makes me wonder, what is this "Dubai Ports World" and why is the President so willing to shoot his wad on these guys?

OK, I found this article about Neil Bush (Fearless Leader Jr.) and Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem (Dubai Ports World Chairman) meeting at a gala dinner for the Science, Technology and Arts Royal Summit, which is somehow related to the Information Technology Association - Jordan. That's hardly a clear connection.

And the Sultan is also, apparently the chairman of Istithmar PJSC, a leading investment house based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), focusing on private equity, real estate and alternative investments. See here. They've bought a lot of stuff and have spread a lot of money around. So there might be a lead there...

But what does this all mean? Where's the connection? I refuse to believe that Bush seriously cares who gets this port deal, and that "terrorism" is just a red herring which the media has conveniently latched on to.

Let's keep digging.

No comments: