Monday, February 23, 2009

I've got a Bad Feeling About This...

Jim over at R2P: Return To Pittsburgh has an unsettling little article out of Newark, NJ:

... "Newark needs people living downtown to realize fully its burgeoning revitalization," Goldman tells GlobeSt.com. "Throughout the country and the world--in places like London, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh--arts centers have led the way in transforming cities. There is every reason to believe that Newark can be the next major urban success story."
Jim adds, "For better or for worse, Pittsburgh is clearly a best-practice model for a number of struggling cities throughout the country."

Frankly, that's the most disturbing thing that I think I've read on the Burghosphere recently: Newark wants to be Pittsburgh.

Perhaps it was the Superbowl, but it seems like we've seen a lot of publicity recently about Pittsburgh being a, well, great place to live. Now, don't get me wrong: I love this place and I do, in fact, think that this is a great place to live.

Articles like the one above, however, seem to imply that what we're doing is part of a consistent, planned strategy, instead of an ad hoc grouping of interests and piecemeal policy decisions. Indeed, certain policy decisions *cough*assessments*cough* would seem to be really, really... well, bad and not conducive at all to redevelopment.

All I can figure is either (a) Pittsburgh is hiding its incompetence really well, (b) we're actually doing something right, (c) other Cities are doing exceptionally bad, or (d) we've been down so long in Pittsburgh, we don't know which way is up.

I hope it's (b) or (d), but I'll wager it's (a).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I propose (e) reporters have their heads up their asses. It's empirically sound and I haven't had any trouble noticing incompetence in Pittsburgh governing.

O said...

I'd say that's (a.1)

illyrias said...

Have you been to Newark? I got lost looking for Ikea there (formally the only reason to go to Newark unless you were forced to take a flight out of their awful airport.) I'm highly inclined to lean toward (c).

Anonymous said...

Camden wants to be like Newark
Newark wants to be like Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh wants to be like the good parts of New York
The bad parts of New York want to be like Camden

Circle of life.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

which parts of new york ARE the good parts?? i've only been there once when i was a kid.

i would be nice if some "affordable" housing was planned for downtown

Bram Reichbaum said...

A lot of A (which I think actually is our central guiding policy), together with a little of B, a fair bit of C, and some E: the grass is always greener.

O said...

Have you been to Newark?

I have and I see your point there.

Anonymous said...

i grew up in chicago, under the leadership of morons. somehow, despite said morons perpetual efforts to choke the life out of the city, the city-core evolved into a great place to live. whatever the "blueprint" was, i wouldn't follow it.

Anonymous said...

I still like (e) better than (a). (e) explains (a), plus the NYT's style section.

IOZ said...

Haha Carol Brown and the Ghost-dad Jack Heinz pwn Newark.

Anonymous said...

Those of you who haven't had the Newark "experience", consider yourself lucky.

Can not believe conditions improved much since 70's.

Had Camden experience as well...Both Camden and Newark are microsoms of large urban areas (NY and Philly).

Need to compare Newark with Rankin for realistic effect.

Glad I'm a Burgher...

monk

Anonymous said...

I like the minions that post on this blog...

I would like to increase my personal info...

To busy to remember my "eye page"...can't remember idenity or pass word...

Every once in awhile, I come to my senses...

You have youth to build on, and a young Mayor..

...as old guy I am easily impressed.

With youth. (youns)

So?

What the fuck, it's your City....rip on it, and you rip on ones self, embrace your youth as I do.

We have something good here.

monk